The east side of the main section of the House.
Older brothers will remember the thick ivy that grew up this wall
both sides of the bay windows
all the way to - and, by the 1970s, over - the roof.
In 1983 a storm pulled loose the southern section of the ivy,
which collapsed onto the front yard, onto the sidewalks, and onto some parked cars,
causing considerable damage.
The remaining section of ivy, on the north side of the bay windows,
was removed the following year, for fear of a similar crash
damaging the rear extension if the House comtaining the former garage and the
With the ivy gone, Delta Phi Epsilon in 1988-89 had all brickwork
on the east, the north, and the west sides of the House
expertly tuck-pointed (at a cost of $19,000).
Looking north up 34th Street, beyond the old coal delivery gangway
and past the ugly cinder block walls holding back the House's elevated yards,
one can see the addition put onto the House in 1919,
comprising the former garage, a dining room and a kitchen,
and an extension of the second floor porch.
Soon after Delta Phi Epsilon acquired the House in
the garage area was transformed into a bathroom and two bedrooms
capable of housing a total of five brothers.
During World War II, when all but one of the Chapter's student members were called to military service,
the one exception, Bro. Edward White, Al-'41,
who had been exempted because of
a withered arm,
and his newly-wed bride Helen
lived in the larger
of the bedrooms,
behind the double garage doors,
and managed to save the House for Delta Phi Epsilon
by renting its other rooms to a succession of G.U. medical school students
and various G.U. military and government temporary boarders
until the University re-opened in 1943-44 and Alpha Chapter re-activated.
Bro. White was in the 1940s and 50s a popular teacher of accounting at G.U.
and his wife was a manager of the G.U. Book Store until the 1970s.
In 1967 Chapter President Bro. Douglas Davidson,
completely renovated this former garage area a second time
eliminating the two bedrooms,
by moving the bathroom about ten feet to the east,
and by cutting
arches through the walls
that had separated the bathroom and the bedrooms from each other
and also from the House's basement Party Room,
thereby tripling the
size of the Party Room.
In 1986 Bro. Terrence Boyle returned the Party Room to its original size
and re-built the two bedrooms.
The resultant increase in the House's income from having additional rent-paying
helped make possible the major improvements to the House
undertaken during 1986-88.